Ensure Optimal UX with User Testing
You’ve invested time and money in website UX optimization, conducting a site audit and creating a new information architecture and UI. Don’t forget the final and most critical step in the user-centered design process: user testing to ensure the best possible customer experience.
Digital tools make it easy
User testing doesn’t have to be as daunting – and expensive – as the traditional focus group in a lab environment. There are many digital platforms available to help you recruit volunteers and conduct tests. One of our favorites is Usertesting.com, a site that uses crowdsourced testers who are ready and waiting. You can even define your target attributes such as age or gender.
“Think aloud” testing
Listening to real users narrate their way through your web pages – known as “think aloud” testing – is incredibly valuable. Test your current design against the new web design by giving users simple tasks like finding a certain product, looking up information, downloading material or making a purchase. Imagine the important insights into the user thought process!
- “I’m not finding what I need here…”
- “Yes, that’s it. I see it…”
- “I’ve put it in the cart and now I can’t change the color…”
- “Not sure what to do next. So frustrating…”
The UX experts at NNG call think aloud testing the #1 usability tool, and for good reason. The benefits include being:
- Cheap, because you don’t need special equipment to gather insights
- Robust, because it’s easy to get good findings (without a lot of statistical expertise)
- Flexible, because you can use it any stage of development
- Convincing, because clients love direct insight into how their customers think and act
Reap the rewards
The clarity and usability gained from user testing can offer you:
- Increased revenue from improved conversion rates – and customer retention and advocacy
- Reduced development costs (removing things like features or content no one cares about)
- The ability to proactively fix usability issues, like spots where users get stuck
- Seeing your design through the eyes of your users for a fresh perspective
Ready to revamp your website UX? The Signal team can help you plan and execute user testing to ensure the best possible customer experience.