Hands down, video is one of the most impactful tools marketers have for connecting and converting audiences. With so many opportunities at stake, you’ll do yourself a favor by creating a thoughtful video project plan before you begin. From project conception to promotion, here are the top 5 action steps to help make your next video project your best ever.
1. Spell out your strategy.
Does your company have a video marketing strategy? Digging into the following questions can help you make sure your message is communicated in a pithy, powerful way.
- What is the core purpose, goal, subject, and message of this project?
- Who is the target market(s)?
- How and when will this content be used?
- What’s the desired length?
- Are you looking for high, medium or low production value?
- What do you like (or dislike) about any previous or competitor videos?
- What are the budget and timeline?
2. Clarify who is responsible for the script, storyboard, and assets.
Before you can get cracking on creative concepts, you need to know who on your team – or which trusted external resource – is handling the important tasks.
- Who is responsible for creative direction? Creative concepting?
- Who will write content for the storyboard/script?
- Will the video contain audio (speaking subjects or voiceover) or will it be silent, with text on screen only?
- Do you have the necessary assets (including images, footage, and graphics) or do they need to be created?
3. Get into the weeds on video production.
Video production will most likely require the most coordination with both internal and external resources, so knowing what’s needed is absolutely key.
- If video and/or photoshoots are required, how many are needed, in what locations, and with how many cameras?
- What are the estimated shoot duration, travel time, and expenses?
- Do you need to plan for wardrobe, makeup, props, or any special equipment?
- If you are using a vendor, do they have any specific preferences or requirements?
4. Know what’s needed to finalize the video.
Post-production is where your strategy and creativity come together for a video that makes a splash. Ask these questions to ensure your hard work translates into a great final product.
- What new motion graphics (intro, outro, titles, transitions, etc) or 3D animation need to be created, and who will create them?
- Who is the talent for audio voiceover and when will they record?
- What audio soundtrack or sound effects are needed, and who will procure them?
- How many clips will be created?
- In what format(s) will the video be exported?
5. Prioritize promotion and measurement.
An amazing video quickly loses its worth if you don’t give it the promotion it deserves, and don’t know if you’ve hit your mark.
- How, how often, and on what channels will the video be promoted?
- What are the requirements for analytics and tracking?
- What are your desired results or KPIs?
Video projects are multifaceted and demanding. Taking the time and effort to create a thoughtful plan before you jump in can improve your team’s performance, and the audience experience. With hundreds of successful videos under our belt, the Signal team is here to answer any questions you have!